Order in Chaos

When I was still working in theatre, I found that a surprising number of my actors were addicted to something called Sudoku. Like knitting, its portable, single-player nature is perfect for those long waiting periods in between cues during Tech Week. Not being a big fan of math, when I initially saw a page full of boxes with numbers, I was immediately turned off and decided that I didn't want to learn how to play.

Then one day, my curiosity got the better of me and I bought a book called Sudoku to Go, by Will Shortz. The first page of the book quickly enlightened me to the fact that Sudoku is not about math, it's about logic. The object of the game is to fit the numbers 1-9 in each row, each column, and each 3x3 box without repeating. Some of the numbers in the puzzle are already given to you, and it's your task to make the rest of them fit.

Who would have known that years later, a little book of puzzles would come in handy when an order for a Sudoku cake came in!

Puzzle #41 from Sudoku to Go. Gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling.
(I included the key to the puzzle with the client's receipt.)

Next up: The last of my 4-cakes-in-4-days weekend.

Labels: , , , ,